CHARLOTTESVILLE (WINA) – Already with an uphill battle to remove the statues ruled war memorials, the city also lost its argument today the that statues are an affront to Charlottesville’s African-American citizens under the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause. Judge Richard Moore ruled before any arguments were made at the actual Wednesday trial that there’s no evidence of that motivation. Moore cited multiple cases — including one recently in the Supreme Court — that the clear intent must be demonstrated. In a more-than 45-minute explanation, Moore said the Lee and Jackson statues in those downtown parks represent different things to different people. He said there are even African-American individuals who want to see them stay — including two African-American men WINA News spoke to after the ruling.
The only thing remaining — for which Moore will hear arguments — is monetary damages and court costs. Plaintiffs are seeking such judgement in light of winning most of the issues in this case. In addition to the 14th Amendment ruling, the judge issued a summary judgement earlier this year that the downtown Confederate statues are indeed war memorials. Plaintiffs did lose a part of the case trying to hold each City Councilor personally liable for any damage judgments in the case. Judge Moore ruled the councilors in holding multiple hearings and discussions — as well as constructing a blue ribbon commission on the issue — were not negligent in their votes.
WINA News will update the case as it moves along.





