News

Fire Heavily Damages House On Westfield Road

Fire Heavily Damages House On Westfield Road

Photo: WINA

An Albemarle County home was heavily damaged in a Monday morning fire. The County Fire Marshal’s office says a family who lived in the 300-block of Westfield Road did not get rid of some ashes the right way. Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Maddox says a rear deck caught fire and it affected the first and second stories of the house. Maddox says the total property and content damage is nearly $152,000. Firefighters were summoned to the house shortly after 6:20 a.m. Monday. There were no injuries and the family is being assisted by the local Red Cross. Maddox says anyone who cleans out a wood stove, fire pit or grill should put ashes in a metal can or bucket with a lid. The can or bucket should be at last ten feet away from a house or deck. Meanwhile, county fire officials are still looking for answers following a fatal house fire in the Free Union area. An unidentified man who lived by himself in the 3400-block of Millington Road died after his home caught fire Sunday morning. His body was sent to a state medical examiner’s office in Richmond.

 

Latest Stories

in Entertainment

Want to smell like Tara Reid? No? Well now you can anyway

Fresh
tarareid

Because everyone wants to smell like a B-list star battling sharks in an low-budget sci-fi film, there's "Shark by Tara."

in Local Sports, Sports, UVA Sports

Harris Ready For The Opportunity Of A Lifetime

Fresh
Basketball

Former UVA guard Joe Harris prepares to play with the best in the world.

in Sports

Ohio lawmaker proposes LeBron license plate

Fresh
lebron

An Ohio lawmaker wants a license plate celebrating the homecoming of King James.

in Local Sports, Sports, UVA Sports

First Three UVa Football Practices Open to the Public

Football

UVA to practice at night during open practices.

in Sports

Friday’s Sports Minute

leishma

A look at the sports news making headlines today, Friday, Aug. 1.