News

Fire Displaces Esmont Family

Fire Displaces Esmont Family

Photo: WINA

Another rural family has been displaced by a fire. A chimney fire that spread to the rest of the house occurred  shortly before 8 a.m. Sunday at 6852 Porters Road in Esmont. Albemarle Fire & Rescue says flames were showing through the roof when crews arrived. There were no injuries. The County Fire Marshal estimates damage at around $65,000. The Red Cross is helping the family.

Latest Stories

in National

Thanksgiving grease cooks up plumbing disasters

turkey

Thanksgiving is a royal pain in the U.S. drain.

in Black Friday, Viral Videos

Jimmy Fallon’s favorite #ThanksgivingFails

13-overlay6

Think you've had a rough Thanksgiving? It could always be worse.

in National

Ebola survivors thankful for ‘second chance’

ebola

Six of the nine Ebola patients treated in the U.S. met for the first time.

in National

Thanksgiving travel at a 7-year high

gas

More than 46 million Americans are expected to travel over the holiday weekend.

in Black Friday, National

History of the holiday: Thanksgiving

14-overlay1

Thanksgiving celebrations date back to the first European settlements in America, but it wasn't until the 1860s that it was declared a national holiday.