News

More than 8M pounds of beef recalled

More than 8M pounds of beef recalled

RECALLED: The products are unfit for human food and must be removed, the department said. There have been no reports of illness, but consumers are advised to contact a healthcare provider if concerned, the USDA said. Photo: clipart.com

(Reuters) – A California company is recalling 8.7 million lbs of beef parts because it used “diseased and unsound animals” and lacked proper federal inspections, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said.

Rancho Feeding Corp of Petaluma, California, produced the beef between Jan. 1 and Jan. 7 and shipped the meat to distribution centers and stores in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas, the department’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said in a statement.

No one answered the phone number listed for Rancho Feeding Corporation on Saturday.

The products are unfit for human food and must be removed, the department said. There have been no reports of illness, but consumers are advised to contact a healthcare provider if concerned, the USDA said.

The USDA listed 18 categories of beef parts that are subject to recall, such as feet, lips, cheeks, hearts and tongues. They are in boxes of up to 60 lbs.

Some beef carcasses for sale are also in the recall.

Beef carcasses and boxes bear the establishment number “EST.

527″ inside the USDA mark of inspection and have a case code number ending in 3 or 4.

(Reporting by Kevin Murphy in Kansas City, Missouri; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

Latest Stories

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."

in Local, Virginia Assembly

Morrissey Resigns – Will Run For Seat Again

State Capitol (JT)

An embattled lawmaker is resigning after being convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, but he'll run again for the seat he's vacating.

in Charlottesville City, Local

Police Seek Info On Cherry Avenue Break-In

Charlottesville Police Logo

City Police say somebody broke into a house early Thursday on Cherry Avenue and went into a child's bedroom.