Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito (68) and tackle Jonathan Martin (71) looks over plays during the second half of an NFL preseason football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013 in Miami Gardens, Fla. Photo: Associated Press/Wilfredo Lee

MIAMI (Reuters) – The Miami Dolphins said they have indefinitely suspended offensive lineman Richie Incognito for “conduct detrimental to the team.”

The suspension was announced on Sunday night, hours after the Dolphins said they and the National Football League (NFL) were investigating bullying and abuse allegations made by offensive tackle Jonathan Martin.

“We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time,” the Dolphins said in announcing Incognito’s suspension.

The NFL said in a statement: “We have been in contact with the team on this matter since last week and will conduct a thorough review.”

Earlier on Sunday, the Dolphins said they had received notifications from Martin’s representative alleging that he had been repeatedly harassed by teammates.

“We are taking these allegations very seriously,” the Dolphins said.

Martin, who was a second-round draft choice in 2012 out of Stanford University, left the team last week on a leave of absence. The 23-year-old had started every game of his rookie season and seven games this year.

The Dolphins said coach Joe Philbin and several teammates had been in touch with him and that, “Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being.”

The Dolphins did not elaborate on the allegations against Incognito. On Twitter, Incognito denied wrongdoing and demanded that his name be cleared.

The incident shines a light on rookie hazing that has long been a widespread practice in the league, though not generally known to have been taken to extremes.

ESPN reported Sunday that Incognito convinced Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas, even though Martin did not go on the trip.

Other instances of intimidation were captured on voicemails and texts, according to media reports.

Latest Stories

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Nov. 30


A look at the Hollywood headlines of years past.

in Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Local, Local Sports, Sports, Surrounding Counties, UVA, UVA Sports

Mike London Era Has Ended At UVA


Mike London's six-year stint as the University of Virginia's head football coach ended Sunday.

in Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Local, Surrounding Counties, UVA

City Police Search For Robbery Suspect

Charlottesville Police Car Black and White

City Police are searching for a male suspect in a Thanksgiving night robbery in the 800-block of West Main St.

in Local, Surrounding Counties

Four Arrested Following Carjacking

Police car lights (from clipart)

Four men are being bars following an armed carjacking in New Kent County.

in Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Election, Local, Surrounding Counties, UVA

Gilmore Will Run Ads In Some States

Casteen John Gilmore Jim 082308 CC

Presidential candidate, and former Virginia Governor, Jim Gilmore gets to run TV ads in several early primary and caucus states.