News

Chris Brown rejects plea deal in assault case

Chris Brown rejects plea deal in assault case

CHRIS IN COURT: Singer Chris Brown, right, arrives at the District of Columbia Superior Court in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 8, for a status hearing in a case in which he's accused of hitting a man outside a Washington hotel. The R&B singer was arrested in October after a man said the singer hit him outside the W Hotel. Brown and his bodyguard each face a misdemeanor assault charge. Photo: Associated Press/Manuel Balce Ceneta

By Tom Ramstack

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Grammy-winning R&B singer Chris Brown has rejected a plea deal in a misdemeanor assault case stemming from an altercation outside a Washington hotel, his lawyer said on Wednesday.

Brown is charged with breaking the nose of a 20-year-old Maryland man who tried to get a picture with him in October. His bodyguard, Christopher Hollosy, faces the same charge.

A lawyer for Brown, Danny Onorato, told reporters the deal had been turned down because “Chris Brown’s not guilty.”

He said he expected a date for a trial at the District of Columbia Superior Court to be set at a February 20 hearing.

Prosecutors offered Brown, 24, a plea deal that required him to plead guilty to simple assault.

During the 10-minute hearing, Brown and Hollosy appeared relaxed and chatted with attorneys. Brown smiled several times.

Facts of the argument that led to the charges are disputed.

A police report said the man who was punched had sought a photograph with Brown. Other witnesses said the man tried to force his way onto Brown’s tour bus.

Brown’s attorneys say his bodyguard was trying to protect him when the altercation arose.

Prosecutor Nicholas Cannon told Judge Yvonne Williams he still was compiling evidence against Brown.

“We have video surveillance,” he said. Cannon gave no details of what the video showed.

In 2009, Brown was sentenced to five years’ probation, community labor and domestic violence counseling after assaulting then-girlfriend Rihanna.

Brown’s probation was revoked by a Los Angeles judge last month following the Washington fracas. He was not taken into custody because of good reports on his progress in a court-ordered rehabilitation program.

His probation was also revoked in July after he was charged in a May hit-and-run traffic accident. A Los Angeles judge reinstated it in August after Brown agreed to complete an additional 1,000 hours of community service.

Since the 2009 sentence, Brown has been involved in altercations with rapper Drake and his entourage in a New York nightclub and R&B singer Frank Ocean in a Los Angeles parking lot.

(Reporting by Tom Ramstack and Ian Simpson; Editing by Ian Simpson, Leslie Adler and Steve Orlofsky)

Latest Stories

in Entertainment

Actor James Shigeta dies at 81

Fresh
Miyoshi Umeki and James Shigeta star in Flower Drum Song in 1961.

"Die Hard," "Lost Horizon" and "Mulan" star, James Shigeta, dies at 81.

in National, World

U.S says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks

Fresh
FOR USE AS DESIRED, YEAR END PHOTOS - FILE - President Barack Obama meets with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, Monday, June 17, 2013. Obama and Putin discussed the ongoing conflict in Syria during their bilateral meeting.

In another sign of deteriorating relations, the U.S. government claims that Moscow has violated the Cold War treaty.

in National, World

Civilians killed in eastern Ukraine amid fierce fighting

Fresh
Armed pro-Russian separatists stand guard on the suburbs of Shakhtarsk, Donetsk region on July 28, 2014.

Intense fighting between Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine kills at least 19 civilians.

in National

Toy drone disrupts aircraft fighting California wildfire

Fresh
Firefighters protect an evacuated home while the fast-moving wildfire called "Sand Fire" burns behind, near Plymouth, California on July 26, 2014.

Fire officials spotted a drone over the Sand Fire and immediately called police to have the toy grounded to avoid a possible mid-air collision.

in Sports

Judge gives go-ahead for $2 billion sale of NBA’s Clippers

Fresh
With her attorney Pierce O'Donnell, right, Shelly Sterling, center, talks to reporters after a judge ruled in her favor and against her estranged husband, Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, in his attempt to block the $2 billion sale of the NBA basketball team, outside Los Angeles Superior Court, Monday, July 28, 2014.

Shelly Sterling can proceed with the record $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers despite her husband's objections, a judge ruled on Monday.