News

Boston sets memorial for victims of marathon bombing

Boston sets memorial for victims of marathon bombing

BOSTON MARATHON: Photos from left, Martin Richard, 8, Lingzi Lu, a Boston University graduate student, and Krystle Campbell, 29, hang at a makeshift memorial near the finish line of the Boston Marathon explosions, which killed three and injured more than 140. Photo: Associated Press/Matt Rourke

(BOSTON) Reuters – Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, and some of the 264 people injured in the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing will attend a memorial service on the one-year anniversary of the attack, officials said on Thursday.

Officials offered few details of the event, which will be held at Boston’s Hynes Convention Center and will also feature remarks from first responders and a tribute to the three people killed by the twin homemade pressure-cooker bombs.

“We were put to the ultimate test by the events at last year’s Boston Marathon,” Patrick said. “We rose to the occasion: turning to each other, rather than against and showing the world what a strong community looks like.”

The blasts, which ripped through spectators, volunteers and athletes at the crowded finish line of Boston’s best-attended sporting event, prompted a week-long security flurry across the city, culminating in a day-long lockdown of the greater metropolitan area as police conducted a manhunt for suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Tsarnaev, a 20-year-old immigrant from Russia’s restive Chechnya region, was arrested late on April 19, after he and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, shot and killed a university police officer in a hasty attempt to escape the city, authorities said.

On Wednesday, a U.S. judge ruled that the surviving Tsarnaev’s trial on charges related to the attack will begin in November. The suspect, who lived just outside Boston for the decade prior to the bombing, faces the possibility of execution if he is convicted.

(Reporting by Scott Malone; editing by Sofina Mirza-Reid)

Latest Stories

in Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Local, Surrounding Counties

Fire Destroys Albemarle Home

Fresh
Albemarle Fire and Rescue 030408

Still no word on what caused the fire on Hildridge Drive.

in Entertainment

‘Downton Abbey’ to end after season six

This photo released by PBS and Carnival Film and Television Limited shows, from left, Lesley Nicol as Mrs. Patmore, and Sophie McShera as Daisy, in a scene from season four of the Masterpiece TV series, "Downton Abbey." As it returns for its much-awaited fourth season, it remains a series about elegance, tradition and gentility, and the pressures of preserving them. The show premieres Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 9 pm ET on PBS.

Producers confirm that the next season of "Downton Abbey" will be the last.

in Sports

Aaron Hernandez trail delayed by bomb threat

Former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez listens during a motion regarding jail phone recordings during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass., on Wednesday, March 25, 2015. Hernandez is accused in the June 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd.

A bomb threat has delayed proceedings of the Aaron Hernandez murder trial.

in Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Local, UVA

Martese Johnson Next Court Date May 28th

Johnson Martese Sign Justice For Martese 032615 (DZ)

During a brief hearing Thursday morning, the next court date for Martese Johnson was set for May 28th.

in National, World

Police search house of pilot who crashed A320

Updated
Police hold media away from the house where Andreas Lubitz lived in Montabaur, Germany, Thursday, March 26, 2015. Lubitz was the copilot on flight Germanwings 9525 that crashed with 150 people on board on Tuesday in the French Alps. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

The co-pilot of the airliner that crashed in the French Alps, killing all 150 people aboard, appears to have brought the plane down deliberately.