Local

Firefighters Evacuate Tarleton Square Apartments

Photo: WINA

Firefighters Evacuate Tarleton Square Apartments

City firefighters evacuated an apartment building Sunday near the downtown area. Chief Charles Werner says a fire began in a third-floor unit and spread to the attic of Tarleton Square in the 700-block of East High Street. The fire marshal has determined there was a malfunctioning heating unit in Apartment 301. Werner says his officers evacuated 26 people shortly before 7 p.m. and used a bus from the University Transit Service to give them a temporary shelter. Werner says all of the affected tenants except for the residents of four units were allowed to go back home by 9:20 p.m. The only structural damage was in unit 301, but there were issues with smoke, water or utilities that kept the tenants of three other units out of their homes.